Happy New Year from the Fab Four!

Welcome to our Blog Page!

Free HTML Codes

Sunday, March 6, 2011

THING 21 - SHOW US WHAT YOU KNOW

This is kind of a tall task in that you don't really know what the 'newbie' is going to want to do. But here goes.

One of the most frequent things people need to do, especially if they are submitting resumes, is to set up an e-mail account. I would suggest g-mail, hotmail or yahoo.com and show them how to get started setting up the account.

If a patron came in with pictures and they wanted to share them on the web, I would start them off scanning the pictures, creating a Photobucket or Flickr account and showing them how to upload the photos.

If a patron came in asking about where they could go to find job opportunities, I would direct them to something like Craiglist, jobs.com, monster.com and perhaps Linked in if someone was searching the job market. I would also assist them in posting their resume on these sites. To create a resume, I would recommend finding a good resume building site such as resumetemplates.org or tell them to book a librarian.

I would direct a patron who wanted to find out information on a particular medical disorder to the Mayo Clinic website or WebMd which has a plethora of information and is easy to navigate.

If a patron wanted to view on-line videos, I would recommend YouTube as a good source of a variety of videos. I would also recommend eHow.com for how to videos.

For most needs, I would suggest the old standby (which I use all the time), Google.com. I google everything and that would be my first suggestion to patrons doing any kind of research.

1 comment:

  1. Medline plus is a good site for medical issues by National Library Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

    Euem Osmera

    ReplyDelete